Colonial entrance hall 1775-1800
The wide pine floorboards are covered with Oriental rug runners. The plain plaster walls are accented by the contrasting painted trim in authentic original colors.
The painted Pennsylvania Windsor bench is the kind typically used in Pennsylvania interiors. It would normally be located inside the front door where muddy boots and coats could be easily removed. It was the equivalent of the cloak closet. The cherry candle stand was made for Benjamin Parry in 1789.
The Chippendale period is evident in the straight square legs of the mahogany card/game table with its secret money drawer, the side chairs and the American Chippendale chest of drawers, a Parry piece. Above the chest is a classic fretwork mahogany mirror.
The portrait over the card table is of a naval officer of the immediate post-Revolutionary period. This portrait was a gift of the Pennsylvania Society of Sons of the American Revolution, given in memory of Oliver Randolph Parry. Benjamin Parry would most likely not have allowed military paintings in the house. As a Quaker, he did not participate in military activities or pay militia taxes.
Lighting during this period was by candle. The brass candlesticks and candle snuffer were typical of the period. The snuffer was used to cut the wick to the right length to minimize dripping wax and soot. Hanging from the ceiling is the glass bell fixture that has a glass disk above it to keep the greasy candle smoke from staining the ceiling.
At the left of the front door are two engravings done from original plates made by Paul Revere in 1765. One shows the Stamp Act Obelisk and the other shows a Certificate of Membership in the Massachusetts Masonic Fraternity.
On the stair landing, the cherry tall grandfather clock was made by Martin Shreiner in Lancaster County, Pa. Such clocks, as a household's only timepiece, were placed on landings so the time could be read from downstairs or upstairs. Martin Shreiner made 285 clocks in his lifetime. This one is still wound once a week and keeps almost perfect time.
The sisal carpeting on the stairs was commonly used in the 18th century. Sisal is made from woven rope and was durable and inexpensive. Thomas Jefferson at Monticello also used it.
Notice also the rivet marks still visible on both the front and back doors. At some point iron plates were riveted onto these doors, as well as the exterior kitchen door, as extra protection against break-ins. The Parry family removed the plates sometime before the beginning of this century.